Paul in the parallel passage in the fourth chapter of Galatians says: ‘God hath sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts’ – the Spirit of His own Son. Do we realize that as Christians we have within us the self-same Holy Spirit that was in the Son of God when He was here on earth? The Father gives the Spirit and it is the same Spirit that was in the Son that is given to us. The Spirit that enabled Him will enable us.
– Martyn Lloyd-Jones in Spiritual Depression (Grand Rapids, Mi: Eerdmans), 171.
It is my opinion that all of the missional hairs have been silenced as there has been very little tangible interaction between the community members on my chin.
Something I have noticed, much to my pleasure, is that the three-dimensionality of my facial hair is beginning to become more prominent. The hairs are not only visible, but they are becoming more and more distinguishable from my chin. This is good because it helps people to realize that the dark patch on my face is indeed hair, as opposed to dirt.
And so, a journey that began early one Sunday morning is now ending. It has been a good four weeks. At times my patience was tried by the slow rate-of-growth. But slow and steady has finally won the race (you didn’t really think that I could close this post without applying some sort of loosley related convoluted proverbial wisdom, did you?).
My thanks to you for accompanying me on this trip.
Well, with an astounding 3-0 vote in the last poll I believe that it is safe to say that I am now the proud owner of a Moderately Legitimate Patch of Facial Hair on My Chinny-Chin-Chin. I find this to be encouraging.
As such, I believe that my last update will be coming this Saturday.
I must share with you some of the blessings God has given me this summer! He has been so kind to me…
- Time With My Nieces. This summer I was able to spend a huge amount of time with my two five month-old nieces. Which is cool because I probably won’t get to see them very frequently for a large amount of time.
- Time With My Sister and Brother (in-law). I spent much of the summer with my sister and brother (in-law) as well, this is also very cool because I generally don’t get to see them much either.
- Generous Employers. God blessed me with two generous employers, one of them providing me with food, shelter and a car; the other paying me at an incredibly high rate for jobs that deserved much lower pay.
- Financial Provision. From these two jobs God provided me with all of the finances I need to pay for my fall semester at Moody Bible Institute! God is good!
- Financial Provision in Spite of My Laziness. Furthermore, I didn’t do any planning entering into this summer – but God provided in spite of my lack of preparation!
- Andy Hunter – Christian DJ. I was officially introduced to Andy Hunter, the master of Christian dance/dj/electronic music.
- Grace Bible Presbyterian Church. I was able to attend a church whose vision of God is big.
- Multi-generational Prayer Meetings. At this church I was able to participate in prayer meetings which were attended by elderly people as well as younger kids – how cool is that!?
- Sunday School. The Sunday school was also excellent at GraceBPC. Being able to contemplate God with people who have a far greater ability to read and understand Scripture than I was such a joy.
- Hospitality Outside of Church. Eating lunch with two families from GBPC in the home of one of those families was awesome. Experiencing genuine Christian hospitality is truly a blessing.
- The One True God. Earlier this summer I was given multiple booklets along with The One True God (a workbook on the Doctrine of God); these have been wonderful to read and go through as they have given me a greater understanding of God.
And this merely scratches the surface of God’s inscrutable goodness! For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be glory forever (Romans 11:36)!
Alright, today I have a new question to pose about the status of my emerging Moderately Legitimate Patch of Facial Hair. But before we get to that we’ll take a quick look at the poll from two updates ago.
I asked whether or not I should shave off the blond hairs on the front of my chin. There was a rousing response with one person voting that I should shave off the hairs, and one person voting that I should keep them. As such, I believe I’ll be keeping them; at least for a little while longer.
Now, for the new question. Do I now truly posses a Moderately Legitimate Patch of Facial Hair? Or, ought I give up this attempt to grow facial hair in order to focus more on growing out my mullet?
Alas, I (unwittingly) slept in this morning so there will be no picture update today.