Think for a moment what the Bible says about sin:
- how it dwells naturally in the heart of every man and woman alive (Ecc 7:20; Rom 3:23)
- how it defiles our thoughts, words and actions, and that continually (Gen 6:5; Mat 15:19)
- how it renders us all guilty and abominable in the sight of a holy God (Isa 64:6; Hab 1:13)
- how it leaves us utterly without hope of salvation, if we look to ourselves (Psa 143:2; Rom 3:20)
- how its fruit in this world is shame, and its wages in the world to come, death (Rom 6:21, 23)
Think calmly of all of this.
– J.C. Ryle in Thoughts For Young Men