Inspired by Matt Chandler’s post on things that either inspire or rob him of his affections for Christ, I venture to give you my own list of things that either stir and squelch my affections for Christ.
While there are many different things that feed my desire for Christ (like hanging around with other believers), I find that these three things seem to be the most effective:
- Reading the Bible. I know this is a no-brainer; but spending quality time in the Bible allows me to see Christ more clearly and love Him more intensely.
- Listening to Sermons. While listening to the Bible being preached is helpful in general, I find that men like Leonard Ravenhill, John Piper and Paul Washer preach passionately about Jesus, and many times their passion is contagious.
- Walking. There is something about being physically active outside that awakens me to God’s greatness.
And, conversely there are two main things that effectively subdue my love for Christ:
- Watching T.V. Passively watching television programs stimulates passivity in the pursuit of spiritual progress.
- Being on the Computer. Seventy percent of the time I spend in front of a computer is used on trivial unimportant things. For me, the computer is like a black hole for time. More time spent on the computer means less time spent in the Bible.
So what about you? What are some of the things that ignite your passion for Christ? What causes your passion for Christ to dwindle?